Best Motorcycle Insurance of 2021
With more than a dozen distinct discount options, Safeco offers customers more ways to save than any of its competitors. The company also includes a lot of free features that competitors often charge for, making it a safe bet for cheap motorcycle coverage.
Advantages and disadvantages
Coverage for custom and OEM parts
Many discount options
24/7 roadside assistance and claim notification
No option for online quotes
Coverage is not available in Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii New Hampshire, Montana, Vermont, or Wyoming
Like most of the other motorcycle insurance providers on this list, Safeco offers all of the basic types of coverage you would expect or need, including:
- Civil liability for material and bodily injury
- Liability of passengers
- Collision and global
- Coverage for uninsured motorists
- Provisions relating to the payment of medical expenses
However, Safeco sets itself apart with all the additional features and options it offers:
- Roadside Assistance and Trip Interruption Coverage
- Custom parts and equipment coverage (up to $ 20,000)
- Provisions relating to original parts
- Replacement of riding equipment and accessories
- New Harley-Davidson replacement cover for two years
With over a dozen discounts available for motorcyclists, Safeco offers some of the best savings in the industry. You can save on your premium by accumulating some of these discounts:
- Safe driving discount for those who complete a motorcycle safety course
- Equestrian club discounts if you join one of the 24 partner equestrian clubs
- Discounts for experienced riders based on age and loss-free driving history
- Garage storage and owner discounts (for eligible members)
- Security and anti-theft discounts for qualifying bicycles
- Multi-cycle and multi-policy discounts for those who band together
- Continuous coverage and loss-free renewal discounts for customers
- Pay in full for those who pay their annual premium in advance
One thing customers appreciate about Safeco is the availability of local agents and their attention to your needs. Unlike some insurance companies who don’t really communicate with you, Safeco takes pride in making sure you have the coverage you need whenever you are on the road. Many customers also appear to be relatively happy with the claims process, although some online reviews have noted long wait times for claims payment or repair approval.
Safeco, along with its sister company, Liberty Mutual, holds an A + rating from the Better Business Bureau.se seAdditionally, the NAIC says Safeco has received fewer customer complaints than the industry average for auto insurance. However, JD Power rated Safeco “average” in its 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.se
Although Safeco offers comprehensive motorcycle insurance and multiple discount options, there are some limitations to its coverage. Safeco motorcycle insurance is not available in Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Montana, Vermont or Wyoming.
In addition, Safeco is not a good choice for those looking for an exclusive online experience. You have to speak directly to a representative to get a quote, and their online resources are quite limited, even on their smartphone app (Apple and Google Play).
While some see working with a local agent as an inconvenience, others see it as an advantage. With Safeco, you kind of get the best of both worlds: you have a local agent at your disposal, but you can file claims online and access your policy 24/7 through the customer portal and the Safeco smartphone app.
Aside from some of its special coverage inclusions, such as coverage for your driving equipment and custom parts, Safeco is a core business with core offerings. However, if you are looking for cheap insurance with no bells and whistles, you will save a lot of money with Safeco.