Dustin Johnson to headline first LIV Golf event
Dustin Johnson is apparently ready to quit the PGA Tour.
Johnson was entered on the course at the first LIV Golf Invitational Series event next week, controversial racing league Greg Norman announced Tuesday night.
“Dustin has considered the opportunity from time to time over the past two years,” Johnson’s rep said. says The Action Network. “Ultimately, he decided it was in his best interests and that of his family to pursue him. Dustin has never had a problem with the PGA Tour and is grateful for everything he has given him, but in the end he felt it was too convincing to pass on top.”
A total of 42 players have been announced on the pitch at the first event at the Centurion Club in London, which is due to start on June 9. Among those listed are Sergio Garcia, Talor Gooch, Branden Grace, Martin Kaymer, Chase Koepka, Graeme McDowell, Kevin Na, Louis Oosthuizen, Ian Poulter, Hudson Swafford and Lee Westwood.
Phil Mickelson, who hasn’t played since his controversial comments about the Saudi government and this league, was not listed.
The announcement with Johnson specifically comes as a surprise, given he walked away from the Saudi-backed league earlier this year and said he was “fully committed” to the PGA Tour.
“I think now is the time to put that speculation to rest. I’m fully committed to the PGA Tour,” Johnson said in February. world and for all it has given me and my family.
“While there are always areas where our Tour can improve and grow, I am grateful for our leadership and the many sponsors who make the PGA Tour the premier tour of golf.”
Clearly, something has changed for Johnson.
Johnson, 37, has won the PGA Tour 24 times in his career – most recently at the 2020 Masters, which marked his second major championship victory. He is currently ranked No. 13 in the world. He has also won the Saudi International twice, most recently in 2021.
Johnson missed the PGA Championship cut earlier this month.
What will the PGA Tour do?
It’s unclear what PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan will do in the wake of the departure of Johnson and others, but he won’t be happy.
Monahan has been against the LIV golf league from the start and has even threatened golfers with losing their circuit cards permanently if they compete in the Saudi-backed league. PGA Tour players are required to obtain a release in order to play in conflicting events.
The first event is scheduled to take place in front of the RBC Canadian Open. RBC released a statement Tuesday evening.
“RBC is a proud partner of the PGA Tour. Our partnership is anchored in two world-class golf tournaments – the RBC Heritage and the RBC Canadian Open,” the bank said in a statement. . “The PGA Tour has been clear on its intentions in accordance with its tournament rules if a golfer chooses to play in a tournament outside of the Tour, including the LIV Golf Invitational Series.
“We were recently informed that Dustin Johnson has made the decision to play Game 1 of the LIV Golf Invitational Series. DJ has been a valued member of the RBC team since 2018. While we are extremely disappointed with his decision, we wish him well.
Even if Monahan bars Johnson and others from participating in PGA Tour events, they should still be allowed to participate in the Big Four championships each season — because those are held outside of the PGA Tour.